Excerpt from the blog The iPhone Mom:
Perhaps I’m the only one out there who didn’t realize that I had so many apps working overtime for me. Here are the steps to truly shutting down an app – just in case I’m not the only one who didn’t know how to do it.
- Tap the home button twice.
- At the bottom of the screen you’ll see a row app icons. These are the apps that are running. Slide your finger to move forward or backward through the apps. Chances are you’ll have more than the four that first show up.
- Touch one of the app icon’s and hold your finger on it until they all start wiggling. A small red circle will appear at the top left of the icon.
- Tap on the red circle and the app icon will disappear. The app is now no longer running in the background.
- When you’re done shutting things down tap the home button and the apps will stop wiggling.
- Tap the home button again to return to your home screen.
- These steps will work even if you are currently using an app. In other words, you don’t have to be on the home screen to bring up the row of running apps.